Over the past few years, podcasts have really made their way into mainstream media. Podcasts are a great way to retain information, and are easily accessible, meaning that they can be listened to on your lunch break, on your way to work, or even whilst falling asleep.
With no exception to the podcast trend, there are some great podcasts on the film industry, making this form of media a great way to listen to in-depth interviews with filmmakers, critics, and experts.
Shot Blast Media have put together a list of the top ten film podcasts to help you find your next favourite.
Some of these podcasts include:
- The Film Vault – This is one of the most popular film podcasts on iTunes. It has over 100 episodes and features interviews with filmmakers, critics, and experts from around the world. Interviewees range from directors like Quentin Tarantino to screenwriters like Aaron Sorkin.
- Filmspotting – This podcast has been around since 2007 and covers both new releases and older films that they feel deserve more attention. Filmspotting is a weekly film podcast and radio program from Chicago hosted by Adam Kempenaar and Josh Larsen, who have accumulated over 500 episodes.
- Kermode On Film – Film critic Mark Kermode brings a popular weekly podcast where he dissects various films and chats with occasional co-host Jack Howard as they argue the merits or otherwise of classic and contemporary pictures, plus a series known as 2001 Films You Must See Before You Die.
- Films To Be Buried With – “We are born. We die. In between we watch a lot of films. And some of these films shape the people we are” says host Brett Goldstein, as he invites extra special weekly guests to chat about the movies that matter.
- Blank Check – Blank Check reviews directors’ complete filmographies from episode to episode, they say they look, specifically, at “the auteurs whose early successes afforded them the rare ‘blank check’ from Hollywood to produce passion projects.”
- The Rewatchables – Bill Simmons and a rotating series of hosts “discussing movies they can’t seem to stop watching.” The co-hosts humorously break down each movie into its ‘most rewatchable scenes’ as they remember their initial viewings and evolving interpretations.
- How Did This Get Made? – Ever wonder why that fourth movie in the horror franchise was made? Or what actually happened in the latest Tom Cruz action adventure? Well, How did this get made? might not have an answer, but certainly you will find yourself laughing along with hosts, the actors and comedians Paul Scheer, June Diane Raphael and Jason Mantzoukas, as they attempt to untangle the thorny plots of terrible films.
- The Qwipster Film Review Podcast – For straight up film reviews that are always more than just recaps, check out Vince Leo’s The Qwipster Film Review Podcast. Leo covers everything from Marvel blockbusters to indie films in smart, fun-sized episodes that are each about ten minutes long. Jam packed with information, The Qwipster Film Review is nevertheless filled with thoughtful, quippy commentary just as its title suggests.
- Sweet Film Talk – This podcast provides a safe space where a diverse community of film buffs can discuss the movies they are passionate about. The two hosts, Keeks and TC, are particularly noted for their delightful chemistry. Listeners feel like they are part of a group of good friends just talking about their favourite films.
- Lights, Camera, Barstool – Under the motto of “A movie podcast for the common man” the Lights, Camera, Barstool podcast takes listeners on a fantastical journey through movies, food, sports, and pop culture. Hosts, Jeff, Kenjac, and Trill, have a unique chemistry and are very conversational but refrain from getting too deep into the weeds for the casual listener.
Do you have any more favourite film podcasts?
Let us know by contacting us on: [email protected]